Why Join BlackSquare?
Our Calgary office is funky and cool. We’re located on the third floor of a Beltline building close to great restaurants and public transit and bike lanes. We have a dog-in-residence, regular nights out on the town, many in-office lunch potlucks, and there’s usually at least one email thread floating around the office that’s composed entirely of animated gifs. Because comedy. We plan to move in to a new office downtown shortly. One with great mountain views, access to every amenity you can imagine, and a stylish tasting room for sampling wine and beer and other cocktails.
If you want to learn about the modern world of direct to consumer sales, we’ve got you covered. We have 10 years of experience working with clients internationally.
At BlackSquare, we are a relentlessly resourceful group of people. Everyone in the company has the freedom to work independently, to solve problems and to get things done for our clients. It’s that entrepreneurial attitude that underpins everything we do together.
If you’ve ever felt stifled in your job, like what you do doesn’t matter, BlackSquare is the perfect antidote.
We create software that’s modernizing the global wine, beer and spirits industry by taking the hardest elements of ecommerce sales (compliance, logistics, purchase order analytics, consumer management) and automating them to allow producers to focus on what they do best – making great alcoholic beverages.
This is a full-time position and will work out of our Calgary head office. We’re still small but growing rapidly! We have clients across Canada, Australia, Europe, New Zealand and Asia.
This role requires a highly resourceful individual, someone capable of understanding a broad range of accounting and tax challenges. In addition, due to our fast-paced growth, we’re also trying to automate many of our day-to-day accounting tasks. The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in and experience in implementing new technology and driving new processes.
Working with the Vice President, Finance, as well as a small team, you will be responsible for:
- Leading the completion of full cycle accounting of the group of companies, from recording transactions through to preparation of financial statements monthly, quarterly and annually, including the consolidation of multiple companies in multiple currencies
- Preparing and reviewing working papers to support monthly, quarterly and year-end reviews
- Preparing GST returns and ensuring timely payment
- Assisting with treasury management, including cash flow forecasting
- Reviewing the processing of accounts payable, receivables and expense reports
- Administration of group benefits and onboarding of new team members, managing the online portal
- Drafting, implementing and enforcing new accounting processes within the larger accounting/finance team and company-wide
- Administration of SR&ED working papers
- Accounting Designation and 5+ years of similar experience
- Ensuring accurate, timely financial reporting
- Ensuring all tax compliance is filed and paid on time
- Assisting the VP Finance in driving the workflow of the accounting team to ensure deadlines are met and priorities are in the right order
- Working closely with the VP Finance to automate current processes where possible
- Proficiently working with Microsoft Office including excel pivot tables
- Proficiently working with Quickbooks Online/Desktop
- Assisting with building and implementing financial models and plans
- Maintaining internal and external relationships
- Experience working at a start-up
- Experience in e-commerce and/or tech
- A passion for automation and ‘working smarter’
Submit a cover letter and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.SUBMIT RESUME